Anybody who lives with cats is aware of that they need to be concerned in something and every thing we do — particularly if we’re sitting on the ground and interacting with packing containers and luggage. This tends to occur extra typically in the course of the vacation season, once we — and typically a houseful of buddies and household — enthusiastically tear open festive wrapping paper to disclose presents and goodies. Sadly, this exercise can pose probably harmful — and even life-threatening — outcomes for kitty.
Definitely, there are methods to maintain vacation present opening protected and enjoyable — even when you have cats!
Ribbons and cats
Of all the vacation package deal adornments, ribbons are maybe probably the most harmful to cats. “There are many dangers to cats associated with consuming gift-wrapping ribbon,” says Patrick Mahaney VMD, CVA, CVJ of California Pet Acupuncture and Wellness (CPAW). “Though ribbon seems to be interesting and tasty, it creates a foreign-body impact contained in the physique and could be very damaging to the internal lining of the digestive tract (abdomen and intestines). The abrasive nature of a overseas physique like ribbon can irritate the abdomen and results in vomiting, decreased urge for food, stomach ache and conduct modifications.
Apart from the digestive threats, ribbon poses different risks to cats. Dr. Mahaney continues, “Ribbon can also get caught around a cat’s neck, limb or body, causing a tourniquet effect that compromises blood flow, causes pain, and can lead to strangulation, severe tissue damage, and even the need for advanced medical procedures like ongoing wound care or limb amputation.”
Tape and cats
There’s a good variety of cats who go nuts for tape or something adhesive. Like ribbon, tape — if ingested — may cause intestinal blockages and different digestive points. Moreover, consuming the tape’s adhesive might trigger hostile reactions.
Luggage and cats
It’s a well known incontrovertible fact that cats love luggage, and we love to observe our kitties disguise and play inside them. Opening presents presents many alternatives for feline bag investigation. The primary consideration for vacation bag enjoyable is that the majority of them have handles.
Do you see the place we’re going with this one? That’s proper — cats, of their vacation bag frolicking, might wind up with their heads caught within the bag handles. As a result of there’s a lot exercise happening across the state of affairs, this potential emergency might go unnoticed by people. Cats must be supervised any time of yr if given a bag with handles. Or, you possibly can merely minimize the handles off the luggage and then let kitty go wild.
Extra security options for opening vacation present opening with cats:
- Mahaney says, “Yes, feline-owning households can make gift opening festive for people yet safe for cats by using holiday-themed wrapping paper but excluding ribbon from their packaging and decorations.”
- Make one individual in command of a trash bag and direct them to right away gather all of the torn present wrap that’s been tossed apart. Additionally ask them to gather the present luggage and fold them flat. It’s in all probability a good suggestion to maintain this stack of luggage out of the attain of curious paws.
- Packing containers are almost all the time a very good answer with regards to cats. To distract kitty, supply her a field that’s freed from tape remnants. For added enjoyment, add a couple of items of (tape-free) crumpled-up wrapping paper to the field. Hallelujah!
- Earlier than you begin opening presents, give kitty the contents of her stocking (come on, we all know your cats all have stockings). The brand new toys from Santa may be simply the distraction she wants.
- Let friends know the gift-opening drill, and ask them to not give kitty any gadgets which are off limits.
- If none of those strategies work, place kitty in a room behind a closed door with meals, water and a litter field. Oh, and perhaps a field or bag (with the handles eliminated, in fact).
This piece was initially revealed in 2017.
Thumbnail: Images ©NataGolubnycha | Thinkstock.
Learn extra about the vacations and cats on Catster.com: